We have interpreted the latest guidance and the implications of the tier system for your yoga teaching and training below. As always, your insurance policy with Yoga Alliance Professionals will remain valid providing you follow government legislation.
If you have any concerns, we recommend contacting your local council.
The following is based on the guidelines posted on the GOV.UK website here
Tier 1 - Medium
- Organised outdoor physical activity and exercise classes can continue.
- Organised indoor physical activity and exercise classes can continue to take place following the rule of 6. Where more than 6 people are in attendance, students cannot gather/mix/socialise in groups of more than 6.
- There are exceptions for indoor activities for people with disabilities and physical activity for under-18s, which can take place with larger groups mixing.
- All businesses that are open should follow Covid-Secure Guidelines.
Tier 2 - High
- Organised outdoor physical activity and classes can continue.
- Organised indoor activity and exercise classes can continue in groups provided students do not mix (closer than 2m distance) with people they do not live with or share a support bubble with.
- There are exceptions for indoor disability sport, sport for educational purposes and supervised sport and physical activity for under-18s, which can take place with larger groups mixing.
- Please find UK Active's guidance on the Rule of 6 for Tier 2 here.
Tier 3 - Very High
- Outdoor classes can take place providing physical distancing measures are in place and health and safety regulations adhered to.
- Leisure centres and facilities can remain open for individual training. Group classes cannot take place.
- There are exceptions for indoor disability sport, sport for educational purposes and supervised sport and physical activity for under-18s.
Tier 4 - Stay at Home
- Group yoga classes cannot take place indoors or outdoors. Gyms and leisure centres must close.
- Private yoga classes can take place outdoors provided 2 m distance is maintained at all times.
- Education and training can take place in groups provided the venue is Covid-secure.
*** Exemptions ***
- Supervised activities provided for children, including wraparound care, groups and activities for under 18s, and children’s playgroups.
- Yoga for people with disabilities.
- Yoga as a form of therapy.
- Education and training provided as part of a formal curriculum.
GOV.UK: Local Restrictions
GOV.UK: Covid-19 Winter Plan
Sports England Update